Some of my favourite blog posts to read are the personal ones. The ones where you get to learn more about the person behind the blog.
Whether it’s through sharing raw, personal stories, or little comical anecdotes, I love being able to connect with and relate to fellow bloggers.
I’ve done a few blog posts of this nature in the past, and at risk of sounding self-indulgent, along with reading, they are some of my favourite kind of posts to write as well.
This time last year, I shared 19 things that make me happy when I turned 19. So I thought to celebrate me turning 20 on Sunday, I would mark the occasion by sharing 20 things you probably don’t know about me.
1. I can’t roll my tongue / r’s. Family and friends have teased me over this in the past, and I’ve been so persistent over the last few years trying to master the skill. I’ve gotten to the point where I can make a noise that sounds similar to rolling an r, but I don’t think it’s technically correct.
2. As a child, I had 4 pets in total – a dog, a budgie and 2 fish. Today, as an adult, I have zero :(.
3. My favourite tv show of all time is The Golden Girls. I can relate to those old ladies more than the characters in any teen/young adult program. Sophia Petrillo is one of my favourite characters ever.
4. I get attached to things like books, tv shows and movies VERY easily. I can watch a film and it will be all I think about for the next month.
5. If I could eat pasta for every meal, I would.
6. There have been a lot of careers I have considered taking up. When I was 5 years old, I wanted to be a teacher. As I grew up, that changed to a vet, fashion designer, journalist and nurse, to name a few. Now I’m at university studying to become…a teacher. Funny how things come around full circle like that.
7. I’ve only ever had an energy drink once in my life and I HATED how it made me feel. I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest.
8. Pop culture classics like Titanic, Star Wars and Harry Potter…never seen them.
9. My favourite smell is rain mixed with freshly cut grass.
10. Fire is one of my biggest fears. I can’t even light a match or use a lighter I’m that terrified.
11. I got my ears pierced at the age of 18. Just a little late to the party.
12. I love baking…cooking not so much. But I’m always making cookies and muffins.
13. I’m a sucker for an inspirational quote.
14. I’ve never travelled out of the country and it doesn’t really bother me. I don’t have that strong of a desire to travel.
15. While 2000s music reminds me of my childhood and has a special place in my heart, my favourite era of music is the 70s and 80s.
16. I once got an award in high school for art, yet I cannot draw and am the least artistic person you’ll ever come across.
17. Similarly, maths was one of my least favourite subjects in school, but in university, it became my favourite and best subject. Work that one out.
18. I probably own more pyjamas than regular clothes. If I could live in them, I would.
19. I learned to speak Indonesian in high school. Most of it I’ve forgotten, but I can still remember how to count to ten in the language. If I were to learn another language, it would be Portuguese or Italian.
20. I’m nowhere near the stage in my life where I’ll be having babies, but I’m constantly thinking about my future children’s names. I also have my future pets names planned out.
– Karen xx